Find out how to apply for VA Chapter 36 benefits to get free Veteran Educational and Career Counseling services. You may be eligible if you’re leaving active service soon, if you’ve been discharged within the past year, or if you’re the dependent of a Veteran.
Am I eligible for Educational and Career Counseling?
You can get these services if you’ll be discharged from active duty within 6 months or if you meet both of the requirements listed below.
Both of these must be true. You:
- Separated from active duty not more than one year ago and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and
- Qualify as a Veteran for educational assistance under a VA educational program
Note: If you’re the dependent of a Veteran, you may also qualify for Educational and Career Counseling.
Learn more about employment benefits for dependents
What benefits can I get?
- Counseling to help you decide which civilian or military jobs you want
- Educational and Career Counseling to help you find a training program or job
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help you deal with issues that get in the way of your success in training or employment
How do I get these benefits?
First, you’ll need to apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits. Then, you’ll work with your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC).
Follow these steps to apply online now
- Sign in to your eBenefits account.
- Select Apply.
- Click Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits.
- Apply for Education and Career Counseling.
- If you’re eligible, we’ll invite you to an orientation session at your nearest VA regional benefit office.
You can also apply by mail
Fill out an Educational/Vocational Counseling Application (VA Form 28-8832).
Download VA Form 28-8832 (PDF)
Mail the completed form to your nearest VA regional benefit office.
Find your nearest VA regional benefit office
If you qualify, we’ll invite you to an orientation session at a VA regional benefit office near you.
Get more information
Use CareerScope® to find careers you might enjoy.
Learn more about CareerScope